Tips for Waking up Early & Smashing Goals
Your morning routine is everything. Not only does it set your day, but it has the ability to add value to your day. Before I started getting up early at 5am, I was a 7am kind of person. 7am hustle, 7am rush make breakfast and jump out of the door whilst brushing my hair.
Now I’m a 5am songbird with a passion for using the first 90 minutes of my day to my advantage.
Reasons why you should wake up early:
1. Clarity. When everyone else is asleep or just waking up, I am setting the tone for my day without any distractions. No emails buzzing, no rushing around the house leaving myself flustered. I wake up clear with the first 90 minutes of my day ahead of me to do something amazing with!
2. More time for doing yoga and going to the gym! Plus, the Gym is empty in the morning, so you can throw yourself around and try all those new gym workouts you were too embarrassed to do in front of people!
3. Time to plan your day out effectively
4. Work on things that have been weighing on your mind
5. Get ready and have breakfast peacefully with more time to actually ENJOY getting ready in the morning.
Now I’m not going to lie. Waking up at 5am is sometimes the hardest thing to do but once you get into the routine of waking up at 5am you’ll find each day easier and easier!
Here are some of my top tips for waking up earlier:
1. GO TO BED EARLIER (THE OBVIOUS TIP)
Going to bed half an hour - one hour earlier has its benefits. Decide what time you want to wake up and work out your optimum amount of sleep. However, this won’t help you get up any earlier unless you have some other things enforced because the temptation to sleep In longer will always try and take you!
2. PLAN YOUR DAY OUT BEFORE YOU SLEEP
By having an effective to do list / plan for the next day all aligned around waking up earlier will help motivate you to get up earlier. When you wake up you’ll have a plan for your day and will spend less time zombie-ing around and looking for the next thing to do!
3. GET UP JUST 5 MINUTES EARLIER EACH WEEK
When I started waking up earlier I got into the routine of challenging myself to wake up 5 minutes earlier each week. This helps your body slowly get used to the earlier wake up times and in one month’s time you’ll be waking up 20 minutes earlier! The process is slow so be patient, there will be days where you fail to wake up earlier but don’t let that demotivate you, you will get there if you really want to!
4. SET UP A CHALLENGE WITH YOUR FRIENDS
One effective way of waking up earlier is to find other people that want to do the same thing. Message each other the moment you wake up. This helps to create accountability and motivates you. One effective way is to set challenges with your friend, for example whoever wakes up first the most each week wins a round of drinks brought for them at pub! Competition can be a really healthy way of helping you reach your dreams.
5. CREATE AN EARLYBIRD WAKE UP STATION
Set up your bedroom for your early start. Have the clothes for the next day lined up waiting for you. Have all the things you want to get done first things out and set up on your table in the kitchen.
Choose your clothes for the next day and put them out ready for the morning
Put your alarm clock across the room so you have to get up to turn it off.
Have your slippers ready beside the bed
So that’s just a handful of tips for why you should wake up earlier and how to wake up earlier. If you have any pieces of advice or further thoughts, please leave a comment below!